Thursday, August 30, 2012

Our Founder

What a blessing I had yesterday to talk to Bob Crum one of the founders of FCFInternational. He is truly a man after God's own heart. I listened as he retold the story of how FCFInternational got started. It was like I was in the store with him and Duncan as they shared what God was doing in their lives. How thankful Bob was to God for bringing firefighters to their first Bible study. After talking to Bob I felt that I was apart of something really special, something big. After thinking about it for awhile I came to the conclusion that we are all part of something special. God has allowed FCFInternational to exist in order to bring glory to His name in the fire service. When we meet for prayer breakfast, or Bible study we are apart of the command Jesus gave to His disciples to "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature" (Mark 15:16). So as we struggle and get discouraged in our small groups, be encouraged Jesus also told us; "For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them" (Matthew 18:20).

I have also recently enjoyed reading some of the old Encouragers that Bob Crum wrote, as well as the goals for God's new organization (1977). Some of the goals are mine as well. Bob wanted to see local groups meeting together for Bible study, prayer, and fellowship. We need that more than ever in the fire service. It is tough being a first responder these days. Some days it seems like everyone is against us. But I am thankful that God is not finished with any of us. He desires that daily we become more and more like His Son Jesus Christ. I encourage everyone to read his/her Bible and to find a Christian friend in the fire service. In the military they call them "battle buddies". "Battle buddies" are friends who look out for one another both in the good times and bad. Someone they can count on when thing go bad, someone who has their back during the battle. You can not win a battle by yourself, it takes a well trained team who knows what to do. Folks, we are in a spiritual battle within the fire service. So let me encourage you today to grab a "battle buddy" and your Bible and encourage one another in the things of the Lord. You won't be dissapointed.

As I begin this ministry, God's ministry to the fire service, I want to be mindful that this ministry is filled with all sorts of people. The fire service is very diverse, and I would like to be able to minister to all types of first responders So here is where you come in. How can I better minister to those first responders? As an organization how do we meet the needs of firefighters? As you will notice, you can make comments to these posts. I encourage you to do that. Let me know what direction this ministry should take. Thanks for taking a few moments and sharing what God has laid on your heart.




Together let's make encouragement contagious!

3 comments:

  1. Lt Duck, you asked for our honest suggestions so here is mine: You need to team up with me and my ministry to plant the seed of the gospel in the firehouse; and the Bible studies will soon follow. "Unrevealed" is doing incredible things as I continue to get positive emails and phone calls. For just $4 a whole shift will hear the gospel in a unique fashion that is appealing to firemen...and then who knows the fate of that dvd. So how do you get involved? Easy, just act as a satellite and order copies of "Unrevealed" and give/send them out to cities all over the US. Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt, you know I like the movie. You are a good movie maker. Let me take it to the board and see what I can do. Maybe with their approval we can help you distribute it. Is it still the same, or did you update it? Thanks for sharing, I need those ideas.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Lt. Duck, Tommy Neiman, advised me to shorten it so I had to cut a few sceens. I will send you the latest.

    ReplyDelete