Monday, August 20, 2012

Week 1

Reflections from the missions field



Not everyone thinks of the fire service as a missions field, but I do. The fire service currently has 1.4 million firefighters according to NFPA 2010 statistics. This number does not even include the EMS only component of first responders. The fire service has 51,300 stations that house approximately that house 66,800 pumpers, 6,800 aerial apparatus, and 72,800 other types of suppression apparatus. Again these statistics do not account for EMS equipment. FCFinternational does want to minister to all first responders, and I will try and find out some of those statistics. So yes, the fire service is our missions field. FCFinternational has a passion to reach first responders for Jesus Christ. We want to be an organization to encourage first responders to have a personal relationship with God, through His Son Jesus Christ.

So what a missions field we have. The fire service is a unique missions field. There are firefighters from all walks of life, different politacal views, various religious faiths, and a wide opinion on how to live life. So how do we minister to firefighters and first responders? I believe that we have to go back to a common denominator, something we all should be able to agree on. That common denominator is the very Word of God, the Bible. That is why FCFInternational has always been dedicated to getting the Bible into the hands of first responders. Whether that is through station Bibles or with the smaller personal Answering the Call Bibles. Through the years FCFInternational has been faithful in doing just that. As the new President/Missionary I want to continue that effort until every firefighter has been given a Bible and every station has one for members to read. Impossible you say. I am reminded of Jeremiah in chapter 32 and verse 17 where Jeremiah declares; "Ah, Lord God! Behold, You have made the heavens and the earth by Your great power and outstretched arm. There is nothing too hard for You". I believe it, God will allow us to accomplish His will in this goal.

I am thankful to God to have been selected as the new President/Missionary of FCFInternational. I am also humbled because of the enormous responsibility that goes along with it. Please pray for myself and my wife Holly as we transition into this position. I am confident that God will do mighty things for the fire service, and I am blessed to be a small part of it. Pray that Holly and I would truly have servants hearts as we serve first responders. Pray also that we would push aside our wants and desires for FCFInternational as we seek to follow God's plan for the fire service. Together we can do mighty things through God for first responders.

I want to be faithful in letting you know what we have been doing all week. This past week has been one in which I found myself doing a whole lot of running around. Since FCFInternational has always been in Colorado, a lot of work is needed to bring it to Maryland. So I have been opening up bank accounts, looking into office equipment, and getting the new office set up. This week I hope to finsh all of that and begin to minister to first responders. Once I get our new address I will share it with everyone. So please pray that I would finish up the administrative things this week and that the transition would not be too costly for FCFInternational. I am thankful to God how he has always been faithful to our organization, providing for all of our needs. I am also thankful that Gay and Sue are patient with me and are doing so much behind the seen work in order to make for a smooth transition. I am not sure that all of our members even realize the work that Gay and Sue have done over the years to keep FCFInternational going. If you get a chance, give them a word of encouragement they deserve it.

Finally, I would like to use this forum to be accountable to God and the membership of FCFInternational. So please feel free to ask me any question that you believe is important in order to keep me accountable. Currently my personal devotions have been in Jeremiah. I have just finished reading Jeremiah, and I am in the process of memorizing several verses from the book. As I read Jeremiah I was amazed at how the people of God was worshipping idols. The judgement that followed was totally deserved. Then I began to think of us first responders in the fire service. How many of us have also set up idols? God would be just and right to judge us as he did the Isrealites. I am thankful for God's grace and how He is patient with firefighters. It made me want to search my personal life and tear down any idols I might have set up. I want God to be pleased with everything I do. How about you? What idols do you need to tear down. Don't take my word for it, read Jeremiah yourself. So let me know how I can better serve you. I want our organization to continue to be about encouraging one another, which is what the Bible encourages us to do.

Let's make encouragement contagious in the fire service

Craig

No comments:

Post a Comment